​​Call 203-397-6033



Family Based Immigration

​​​Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage or Family

​​Individuals may obtain a green card and become a permanent resident through

a relationship with a family member or through marriage to a U.S. citizen.  

The following relationships are considered immediate relatives.  An immigrant visa

is immediately available for an immediate relative.

  • Spouses of U.S. citizens
  • Unmarried children under the age of 21 of U.S. citizens
  • Parents of U.S. citizens (21 or older)

​Additionally, the following family members are eligible for green cards but the

family member must usually wait for an immigrant visa to become available in the appropriate family preference category.  Please contact our office for additional information.

  • Unmarried sons and daughters (over the age of 21) of U.S. citizens (First Preference: F1 category)
  • Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. citizens (Third Preference: F3 category)
  • Brothers and Sisters of U.S. citizens (Fourth Preference: F4 category)

Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) may file for:

  • ​Spouses and Children (Second Preference:F2A)
  • Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older) (Second Preference: F2B)

If you would like additional information about applying for a green card through a family relationship, please contact our office.